Boiling Mad
by PamFord Davis

Do you feel your anger and rage is justified? Many excuse themselves with the phrase, "I am only human!" Some even imply God made them that way, because they have red hair! I don't know if there is clinical proof linking anger and hair color; but if there is, God will give them strength to curb their hot temper. Now, that I have established the fact that anger needs to be held under control we can move on.

We are easily drawn to the compassionate tender side of Jesus' character. It is harder to come to complete acceptance of his harsher attitudes. We can not pick and choose; Jesus demonstrated unconditional love and yet, spoke words of judgment. Through His Word, He still does. Most of His cutting remarks were directed to the religious leaders of the day, those who were looked up to in society. He saw right through them; and His words nailed them to the wall! He called them snakes, vipers (Matthew 3:7)! Why? They had religion without relationship; and were blind to how lost they were.

The most familiar passage about a demonstration of Jesus' anger is the story of Him throwing over the tables of the money changers, in the Temple complex (John 2:13-16). A close reading may surprise you. Jesus could crack a whip! The source of His anger was love. The Temple lost the sacred observance of being a house of prayer. It is said the tables to exchange money of worshipers from many nations, along with the animals being sold for sacrifices, originally were outside of the Temple gates. The vendors moved inside to an outer court, designated for Gentile worshipers, leaving them no place to draw near to God. Jesus revealed His rage, seeing the Gentiles' were being cast aside in the name of worship; and the Temple areas were no longer holy.

At the mid section of your Bible, in Psalm 119 another scripture brings righteous anger to our attention, "I have remembered Thine ordinances from of old, O Lord, and comfort myself. Burning indignation has seized me because of the wicked, who forsake Thy law (Psalm 119:52-53 NAS)." Do you remember "The Incredible Hulk," and the frequent statement, "You won't like me when I'm angry"? Sin should make us angry; it destroys lives, relationships, families, churches, and nations. Worst of all it destroys a relationship with God!

We should beware when we lose our temper with people who "rub us the wrong way." We should beware if sin does not make us boil!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print