Sopping It Up
by PamFord Davis

The scene takes place in a hushed room. Approaching death hovered over the Lamb of God. Jesus gave a parting demonstration to His Twelve Disciples, a lesson on service and humility. The Master became their servant, performing the menial task of foot washing. As he finished He addressed the group commenting, "He who eats My bread has lifted up his heel against Me (John 13:18b NAS)." Again He bluntly stated, "Truly, truly, I say to you, that one of you will betray Me (John 13: 21b NAS)." I believe you could cut the air with a knife! Suspicious eyes searched the room, friend suspecting friend. Now, He had their attention! Earlier frictions or irritations with one another were as wounds scabbed over, breaking open and oozing! Where is the man? Let me have him! I'll clear this up in no time! The Disciples minds were buzzing with thoughts of arrogance, suspicion and revenge. Moments earlier they received instructions on humility and service; now they wanted to take aggressive action!

Nerves calmed long enough to arouse simple human curiosity, and Jesus was asked to identify the traitor. In reply He delivered the verdict, "Jesus therefore answered That is the one for whom I shall dip the morsel and give it to him (John 13:26a NAS)." A common custom was an act of courtesy, to dip the bread, to sop up the food and extend it your guest. God extends grace to us in the same way. Jesus is the Bread of Life and His body was sopping wet with His sacrificial blood. That gift is extended to us! Jesus was elbow to elbow with the one prepared to betray Him. "So when He had dipped the morsel, He took and gave it to Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot. And after the morsel, Satan then entered into Him, Jesus therefore said to him, what you do, do quickly,
(John 13:26b-27 NAS)."

He was the designated treasurer for the group, holding the purse strings led the others to think Jesus was just sending Judas out on a matter of business. Yes, it would be a business transaction. He would soon betray the Lord for the sum of thirty pieces of silver he received, cash in advance, for his services! Judas, walking in spiritual darkness slipped out of the room and began a walk into eternal darkness.

Jesus did not experience defeat; His message soon declared His life as glorified! In unity both the Father and Son shared in the glory (John 13:31-32). God brings triumph from treachery!

The next time you notice some one dipping a dinner roll in gravy, sopping it up; remember the cost our Lord paid for us. The Bread Of Life becomes our banquet of abundant life!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print