The Companion
by PamFord Davis

We are surrounded by a world of lonely people. Often the most alone are those in the midst of a crowd. It is tragic that they may leave for work each morning by exiting a large apartment building. They can hear the sounds of families rising and getting ready for a busy day. To travel to the job they may use public transportation such as a bus or commuter train. They slide in next to another living, breathing person and yet each are worlds apart. If our traveler drives a personal vehicle, they are still surrounded by hundreds of people who are all so near and so far away.

On the job most are just a social security number with a face that clocks in and later clocks out. In between they faithfully put in their eight hours on the job. At their place of employment they usually have acquaintances, but may have no true friends. Would anyone even miss them if they were gone? Beneath the mask of contentment lies a lonely person. The work routine is repeated for five or six days. Then comes the weekend, the time most dreaded. They may see a few people at the store or running errands but that leaves them even more lonely. Surely those others would soon be meeting friends or loved ones? They only know they will return to four walls for forty eight hours...

Those who mingle do not understand the emptiness of those shut in and shut out by the world. The lonely feel there is no way out of their emptiness and isolation. Possibly they consider taking the chance of pushing out from their comfort zone to visit a community center or a local church. They would just feel so out of place; they do not know anyone there.

Some of the most alone are those shut in because of illness or a disability. If at home alone, or in an assisted living facility, a nursing home or hospital they may be starved for companionship. We would never think of letting them starve physically. Why do we ignore their hunger for a persons touch?

What is a companion? It may be a simple word but it covers a large area of meeting needs. It could be as simple as sitting by someones side while they share old memories. Maybe you take a short stroll side by side. The companion may be as special as a mate for life. You and a companion become friends and simply enjoy each others company. Together you may share only moments and hours. If that companion becomes your marriage partner that closeness lasts a lifetime.

Where do we find such a companion? Do you place an ad in a personal column in a newspaper or maybe search an Internet site? Do we pray...Do we pray? There is One who wants to be your companion. He wants to console you, to comfort you in your loneliness. The Holy Spirit Of God desires to walk along side of you! Jesus said He would not leave us alone, like lonely orphans. Widows and orphans were helpless ( John 14: 16-18, 26/ 16:7). Do you realize that God had companionship with Adam in the Garden Of Eden, with His friend Abraham and with a man named Enoch? He and God enjoyed walks together so much. One day they were walking and God just took him on along home with Him( Genesis 5:23-24)!

Jesus had companionship with His chosen twelve disciples (Luke 6:13). He also had the pleasure of friends from Bethany (Luke 10:38-42). As God created Adam He said it was not good for him to remain alone (Genesis 2:18). He then created Eve to be Adams' help mate and companion.

God in His goodness will provide companions. We can do our part by being a companion to those feeling left alone. Maybe someone needs your handshake or hug today!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print