Easter Bonnets
by PamFord Davis

Take me back to the days of hats and gloves! Do you have pictures in old photo albums taken at Easters past? Girls wore pretty party dresses and mothers were arrayed in classy dresses or suits. Young and old were adorned with the current fashion designs in hats. The ensemble included shoes and a matching purse. The gloves selected may have been simple basic white or be a variety of long sleek design.

In "Your Easter Bonnet," you stood tall and caught the attention of on-lookers. A hat revealed a lot about the personality of a woman. Was she bold? The color, size and decorations gave her a way to express her confidence and spontaneity. Did she have a career in the business world? Her basic hat would be suitable for church, a luncheon or a business meeting. Did she hold a place of honor and dignity in her community? If so her hat, in every detail revealed she lived her life in integrity and generosity.

What about our little girls? Tiny cap style bonnets usually trimmed only with delicate flowers gave the angelic approach and captured the hearts of her parents and grandparents! Most girls did not desire to wear them for very long, but endured to please mother. She posed for pictures and thought about Easter dinner and her Easter candy!

Have you ever considered who created bonnets or wore them before that first Easter? "And the soldiers took Him away into the palace (that is the Praetorium), and they called together the whole roman cohort. And they dressed Him up in purple, and after weaving a crown of thorns, they put it on Him; and they began to acclaim Him, Hail, King of the Jews,
(Mark 15:16-18 NAS)!"

In solemn remembrance we are humbled by our Lord's pain and shame on that Good Friday. The creators mockingly wove that bonnet with their bare hands, placed it on Christ's blessed head, piercing His tender scalp. In sarcasm they announced Him as King of the Jews. They ridiculed Him; but one day their comments will turn to confession " that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those who are in heaven, and on earth, and under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father (Philippians 2:10-11)." In reverence to Jesus we all humbly bow.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print