Our Son
by PamFord Davis

Do we get too familiar with the story of Jesus birth, death and resurrection? Repetition is a great tool for learning, but at times it makes us a little bit lazy about searching for new truths from familiar stories. Riding home from a quick shopping trip I pondered a new idea from the death of our Savior.

Jesus was totally God in the fullest expression of deity, and yet Jesus was 100% flesh and blood. I don't think we can ever really grasp that; we just acknowledge it as fact. We often hear the expression about "apples and oranges," implying they are very different. Yes, the Son of God and the Son of Man are distinct, but both part of the whole, the Great "I Am"!

As Jesus hung on the cross, God and Man bore the weight of all our sin. God the Son was born to die; that was His ultimate goal, purpose in life. He left heavens splendor to die as a substitute for you and me.Without the shedding of blood there is no remission of sin, no forgiveness (Hebrews 9:22). With each dying breath God, the Son of Man felt the agony of excruciating pain and wanted release from the torment.

He was God; He was manHe was a Son! Two parents were there at Calvary watching their Son, their boy die! Any loving parent seeing a child suffer says, "Lord God, take me instead!" It tears the heart and soul from the tent called our body, to witness our babies in pain. Yes, I said babies; any mother sees a current age child before her with her tearful eyes; but in her heart it is the baby she carried in her womb. Mary witnessed the brutal death of her boy and stood helpless to alleviate his grueling crucifixion. She could not bear to look at His bloody body, and yet she dared not turn away for even a moment. She must be there; He should know she stood near by. He knew and in His own torment, His bleeding heart went out to comfort and protect her. "When Jesus therefore saw His mother, and the disciple whom He loved standing nearby, He said to His mother, Woman, behold, your son! Then He said to the disciple (John), Behold your mother! And from that hour the disciple took her into his own household (John 19:26-27)." Jesus left no earthly possessions; even His cloak was taken from Him. He left His dearest treasure, His mother, to John, for her protection and provision. To John He would be opening his heart to the blessings of Mary's maternal care and nurturing. The Son gave closure to the mother.

What about His Father? Well, the conversation He had with His "Abba" held a question, "Eloi, Lama Sabachthani? Which is translated, My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken Me (Mark 1534b NAS)." Unlike His mother who witnessed every gruesome detail, it seems Jesus did not see His Father there. I've always heard it is because Jesus not only bore our sin He became SIN, "He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him (2 Corinthians 5:21 NAS)." I understand our Almighty Holy God can not look on sin; but I think also His heart break made Him turn His eyes away. I remember a time when our son was seriously bitten by a dog and my husband would not let me look!

His Mother and a Father were both there; God never forsook Him. They both heard His final words. Together they took great pride in a Son they both knew, without a shadow of doubt, had not died in vain. He was always about His Fathers business (Luke 2:49)!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print