Wrong Place At The Wrong Time
by PamFord Davis

When a person becomes successful, their moment to shine is sometimes described as "being in the right place, at the right time." If that is true, God placed them there.

Maybe there is an opposite approach. Can we be "in the wrong place at the wrong time?" Yes, ask a young person that stands before the judge, charged as an accomplice to a crime!

Scripture reveals both man's highest moments of sacrificial service and lowest of selfish gratification. Let's take a close look at a man "in the wrong place at the wrong time." It may keep us from making the same mistakes!

"Then it happened in the spring, at the time when kings go out to battle, that David sent Joab and his servants with him and all Israel, and they destroyed the sons of Ammon and besieged Rabbah. But David stayed at Jerusalem (2 Samuel 11:1 NAS)." That may not seem like a very important passage; but you will soon see how critical it is

"Now when evening came David arose from his bed and walked around on the roof of the king's house, and from the roof he saw a woman bathing; and the woman was very beautiful in appearance (verse 2 NAS)." Most have heard the love story of David and Bathsheba, but the events leading up to the affair are often over looked.

David was at "the wrong place at the wrong time!" He stayed behind, leaving his responsibility of leading the army to Joab, who served in a role much like the secretary of defense. David let his troops down, his nation down, and most important, let his Lord down. David was not in the right place, on the front lines of battle. He stayed back home and took an innocent evening stroll on the roof, to enjoy the cool breezes. He could not have chosen a worse time! His eyes dwelled on the beauty of a woman, another man's wife. "And David sent messengers and took her, and when she came to him, he lay with her; (verse 4a NAS)."

The first look led to adultery, murder of her husband and a cover up! David now lived in the land of consequences! David's relationship with the Lord lost intimacy. He could not hide from God or himself! A Prophet named Nathan confronted him with the facts, using four words that are now used as slang, "You are the man (2 Samuel 12:7a)!"

David did not play the blame game; he faced himself and his wrong choices when he had been "in the wrong place at the wrong time." "Then David said to Nathan, I have sinned against the Lord,(2 Samuel 12: 13a)." He was forgiven; but he and Bathsheba lost their son, born from the lust of a King living out of bounds.

God called David "a man after My heart (Acts 13:22b NAS). David sinned; but God forgave him! His heart remained tender and he turned from sin. Do you want to see a beautiful conclusion to David's falling from faithfulness? Take time to read Psalm 51: it reveals a man after God's heart!

If King David could whisper in your ear today he might say, "Don't be in the wrong place at the wrong time!" He speaks from experience!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print