That's Good!
by PamFord Davis

Do you enjoy a good "corny" joke? I think we all need daily doses of laughter to shake up our weary souls! In the late 1960's the entertainment show "Hee-Haw" became a smashing success, leaving network producers shaking their heads! Their sophisticated tastes overlooked the common people and our need for humor. Reruns keep that dream alive!

God must have a sense of humor. Our escapades would be enough to make a grown man cry! He lovingly smiles and works in and through our foolishness to make us into the image of His Son. (Romans 8:28-29) Jesus often dealt with the questions directed to Him by His enemies by turning the tables on them, with a question as His response. I believe He likely grinned ear-to-ear as they walked away caught in their own trap!

He-Haw boasted a cast of weekly professionals in their craft. All stops were pulled out to sign country music's finest treasures straight from the Grand Ole Opry! The comedy of Minnie Pearl and Archie Campbell kept viewers in stitches! Archie's routines normally followed a tested and tried pattern. He worked with one liners and a partner to bounce them off of. Stories were told a sentence at a time with follow up phrases: "That's good! No, that's bad. Oh, that's bad. No, that's good!" He cleverly twisted each story to keep you guessing. We need more people today like Archie Campbell and Minnie Pearl!

I have discovered a portion of scripture that Archie may have liked in the book of Ezra. The people of Jerusalem celebrated the rebuilding of the temple. (Ezra 3:10-13). Religious leaders sounded their trumpets! Cymbals crashed in worship and praise! God's people sang in worship and thanksgiving to the Almighty God! Great shouts of joy filled the air because the foundation of God's house became a reality. "That's good!"

The Elders seeing the work being recognized remembered the original temple built by King Solomon. They wept loudly in sorrow and regret. "That's bad!"

People in the crowd were left to form their own conclusions. " so that the people could not distinguish the sound of the shout of joy from the sound of the weeping of the people, for the people shouted with a loud shout, and the sound was heard far away (Ezra 3: 13 NAS)." Is this temple good or bad?

Confusion is no laughing matter. Do we confuse a lost and dying world by our reaction to life's trials? Do they see joy and peace? "That's good!" Do they see misery and no sign of hope? "That's bad!"

The Christian life is good to those who surrender to Jesus as Lord. To those who rebel against Him, it is seen as bad and foolishness. (I Corinthians 1:18)
Our days have trouble, sorrow and uncertainty. Bring out a dose of tonic, humor and laughter! "A joyful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit dries up the bones,
(Proverbs 17:22 NAS)."

Leave them laughing and coming back for more!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print