Jam Line
by PamFord Davis

When I was a teenager, back in the 1960s', there was a favorite telephone pass time, for my sister and I. Teenage girls hold a special attraction to the telephone! It is a lifeline between them and all of their girlfriends. They can talk for hours about the day to day details of their lives.

It is even more important when a boy is at the other end of the line. They may have seen each other 30 minutes earlier,; but yet they just have to talk on the phone right away! Party lines were like a nightmare! If adults were on the line, you just had to wait patiently, keep checking quietly, for your turn. If you were on the line, they would often become irritated and interrupt your private conversations.


Now, more about the telephone lines in the 1960s'...There was an occurrence called a jammed phone line. Somehow the different phone lines would get all mixed up and connections would combine. You could hear lots of voices off at a distance, all trying to talk at the same time. Actually, often it was almost at a shout level, to be heard. It seems there was a busy signal, with all the voices in the background. As I remember it today, I guess "The Jam Line" was the original "Chat Room!"


My younger sister and I shared an upstairs bedroom; and we had an extension phone. Mom didn't want us on the phone all of the time. How did we use "The Jam Line?" We were hiding under the pillows, so we wouldn't be heard! You gave out your number; then someone could call you back. Often there was a boy on there, with a wonderful voice and personality! We took turns talking to him.

Today with on line chat rooms youth are warned against giving out personal information, or meeting with strangers. Well, we just had to meet this boy, who had us in competition with each other for his attention! He said he could come out from the city by bus. Boy, were we excited!

The bus stop was just up the road. The drama builds...He steps down from the bus. Todays description for him would be a "nerd," not sure if we used that then. What could we do? He was there; and we had asked for him to come!

My sister, almost instantly, took as the cartoon character, "Snagglepus The Lion" would say..."Exit Stage Left!" I was left with several hours of entertaining him. Our Dad worked the second shift; and he would take the boy home after work. My sister and I, today, after more than forty years, still laugh over our "Jam Line" experience!


Aren't you glad that our prayers are not over a "Jam Line?" We don't have to wonder about the One at the other end of our line. God can hear our faintest whisper, called out to Him. One day, when we meet Him, face to face, there will be no disappointment!

We do have to use caution, that our prayer line does not get jammed, where clear communication would be broken. Sin can interfere with our One to one conversations with God.

Husbands are given a special warning by The Apostle Peter, urged to treat their wives fairly, with respect and honor, as both are under Gods' Grace, that their prayers would not be hindered,( jammed!) (I Peter 3:7) That advise is wise, not only for husbands, but for each of us to honor one another.

I wonder if there could be a cell phone "Jam Line?" People just don't realize what fun they are missing!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print