The Shadow Of Her Smile
by PamFord Davis

Recalling special moments and events shared with those those who have died, is often a source of great strength....Donna, this one's for you...

At the funeral service for my oldest sister many of us had the opportunity to speak of what she meant to each of us individually. One common theme was her smile, that we would all remember that smile.

Years later, I have found that so very true. Some people do not know how to smile or laugh, just take life too seriously, or their hurts have made them forget how. Some have a polite, courteous smile. Others get that special twinkle in the eye; and their whole face lights up!

Donna had that smile, even though she had a very hard life, lots of deep hurt and loss. Remember the phrase "Laugh and the whole world laughs with you, cry and you'll cry alone?" Donna drew the world around her into that smile.

I have a favorite true story she shared with me; that will surely add you to her smile group! She was a single Mom; and it was hard to keep herself and four young children fed, clothed, and housed. We all know of slackers, that could work, but prefer the gravy train...

For a while, as her children were growing she did by choice receive assistance, the choice because it would provide medical care she couldn't. At one time there was just very little to eat, like "Old Mother Hubbard", she found the cupboards bare. She shared her needs with her Lord, and the results are nothing short of a miracle!

They were living in an apartment complex; and there was a visitor at her door. The man upstairs had just returned from a day of fishing and didn't want his catch. Would she like them? Yes! She shared that she believed God had a sense of humor, and she and asked God," Alright, here are the fish; where are the loaves?"

Are you ready?....The next surprise was someone bringing a supply of day old bread! You know her smile that day must have lit up the house!

When her children were older she returned to the work force. She was an example to all, with her years of dedication; unable to drive she walked back and forth,even during winters of frigid temperatures and snow. A bus or taxi was for times that she could do nothing else.

Her last years were filled with severe pain, which she usually masked with her smile. Sometimes we don't realize the power of a smile. Yet, we know it can melt the coldest heart.

Donna left a lasting legacy, a great inheritance. We all were willed "THE SHADOW OF HER SMILE!'

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print