Canadian Sunset
by PamFord Davis

I am a music lover and it seems everything brings to mind a song title! One of my all time favorite artists is Andy Williams whose hit version is a classic! I think I may have seen only one or two of those sunsets.

I grew up in central New York State, outside of Syracuse. Coming from a family of five children, we could not afford many vacations. We made a few trips to Laurel, Maryland to visit my older sister and husband. He was serving in the Air Force, in the Washington D.C. area. There was one short trip to Old Forge, New York in The Adirondack Mountains. Then, shortly before I was married at age eighteen, my father decided on a trip to Canada, to see The Locks Of The St. Lawrence Seaway.

I was young. I was in love. I DID NOT WANT TO GO! You are now invited to my pity party! No R.S.V.P. needed! If this were and old home movie, you would now politely make excuses, and head for the nearest door! My future husband was a DJ at the popular AM Radio Station WNDR, "1260" on your dial, when AM was king! He announced under the air name of "The Rebel", which they labeled him with, because he was from Louisiana. He worked the night shift from midnight to six am. We usually talked on the phone most of the night. He encouraged me to go...

Like a Chevy Chase vacation movie, my mom, dad,younger sister and brother, and I loaded into our Falcon wagon and headed north. Alright, I am going; but I DON'T HAVE TO LIKE IT! It was "Pouting Pam And Her Private Pity Party!" I remember very little about the trip. My blurred memory holds a site seeing stop at the Locks, and a museum about the New York State power company" Niagara Mohawk", which drew it's power from Niagara Falls. I am sure I was a bundle of laughs! They may have wished they could leave me at The Falls. Has anybody seen a barrel?

The only bright spot in the trip was at night at our motel. I was able to pick up WNDR on my small transistor radio. I heard "My Rebel!"

I guess I can wrap this up with a final song title about my "Canada Pity Party"......"It's My Party; And I'll Cry If I Want To!" Thanks Lesley Gore!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print