Know Your Limitations
by PamFord Davis

Do you know your limitations? Do you stop for directions when you are lost or continue driving in circles? It is hard at times to openly reveal your areas of weakness. I think I need to give in to a few of mine!

I am absolutely overcome by packaging! If it comes in any type of package or container it is out to get me! It all looks so harmless, "open here"; but don't you believe it! If it is a cap to a chlorine bleach bottle I may wrench my wrist before getting it open. Do you neatly open the inner packaging for cereal boxes? Many of mine look like the Incredible Hulk lost his temper!

What about those plastic "tear here" packaging used for flour tortillas or bagged salad? I usually give up and cut along their dotted line with scissors. Then I stand pulling and straining to get it to pop open!

Are you ready for one of my most embarrassing packaging battles? Cassette tape boxes are on my worst enemy list! They have been around for nearly 40 years and I still battle trying to return one to the case! If my husband is around, I usually just hand it to him. He smiles and slips it in the case.

I am nearly as bad with directions. Following maps are a real chore; and if some one uses the term "Go to the intersection and head south; they have lost me! Give me simple instructions; tell me to turn left or right.

Another problem that falls in line with directions is distance. It really eased my self condemnation when I heard it is often "a woman thing!" Men are just better at judging the distance from their front bumper to the car ahead, distance from the curb, or space left on each side of the car driving in to a garage.

A pastor told a true story of traveling with his wife. She dozed while he did the driving. She awoke, saw a car ahead of them, and grabbed the steering wheel, to avert hitting the vehicle! The pastor regained control, saying they had a safe distance from the car ahead.

My husband drives a big rig; and for several years I traveled with him. When we were first getting started he asked me to get out of the cab, to help direct him back into parking places or loading docks. He should have known better! We gave up on that idea in a very short time!

When we can not handle a task, we need to remember a spiritual truth that far out weighs minor experiences dealing with our inability to get our job done. "I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me, and I in him, he bears much fruit; for apart from Me you can do nothing (John 15: 5 NAS)."

Wow, without Him I can do nothing, meaning nothing that really results in eternal value!
I guess I am just the poster child for blonde jokes! That's OK; I'll just wait till my husband is handy!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print