Walking In Darkness
by PamFord Davis

I once watched an old black and white movie about a man who lost his sight in service to America during World War II. It was an emotional story of the challenges that he and those closest to him faced. It ended with evidence of his inner strength to meet the many barriers in the years ahead. I have a friend who is blind; and I can recognize many similar characteristics in the actors role.

After getting my attention, the Lord revealed some truths about myself. In many ways we are all like this blinded man. We are told in scripture "to walk by faith, not by sight",
(II Corinthians 5:7 NAS).In our world as Christians ,we must live by faith, trust in the Lord, that He will direct our steps. I realized that in a total darkness, as far as our own instincts and sense of direction is concerned, we can walk the straight and narrow path!

Isn't that amazing? Imagine yourself, sightless, trying to walk... across the street....and down the sidewalk...even down the hallway in your own comfortable home. Naturally, we would stumble, stagger, maybe trip or run into the walls. Yet, the Father says we CAN walk by faith, not by sight.

Just as a person who is blind is urged to just follow the sound of the voice of a loved one, we are called to follow our Saviors' voice. He will direct us, if we will just ask. We have not, because we ask not, "Until now you have asked for nothing in My name (John 16:24a NAS)."

Another one of the senses of the blind that becomes essential is touch. They see with their hands, seeing your face, as they gently move across the contours, from your forehead, to eyes, nose, cheeks, and lips. They see their world through braille. They even see, sense dangers around them. If they touch something that is hot, or as fingers reaching for braille raised on a street crossing sign, they are warned. The sign reading "Don't Walk" can save their life.

How sensitive are each of us to touch? Do we get close enough to the Lord, intimate in our relationship, that we can actually feel His leading? On a day to day basis, do we touch those around us, to see their needs, and ways we may minister to them.?


The character in the film, Larry, had to come to realize that he could be what ever he wanted to be, if he really tried. He knew that life would not be easy, that he would have to work twice as hard as those who had natural sight. Yet, he was told of a strength which he could fall back on. It was the power of concentration. Those around him would be more easily distracted.


I see more clearly now that as Christians, we too can claim this concentration, as we walk in faith. "But we have the mind of Christ (I Corinthians 2:16b NAS)." Wow, centered in Him, we have the mind that created the universe! He knows the path we are to follow! Though life is a maze to us, it is a straight path to Him! The lost in our midst are so wrapped up in the rat race of success and survival that their thoughts are distracted., straying from what is real and meaningful.


So, now I believe that when I often feel the most frightened about what lies ahead, around the next corner, when it looks the DARKEST, I can go ahead. I can stop fighting my fears of the unknown.

Miracle of miracles...this is a time to relax, put my feet on the floor, and WALK IN FAITH, not in self, but in my Loving Lord. "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me (Philippians 4:13 NAS)."

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print