Repress, Recall, or Reject
by PamFord Davis

The subject of repressed memories is still under investigation. Some things are buried deep within our subconscious and may need to be revealed to bring healing. I believe that repressed memories can at times be a gift of God.

I have a very close friend, who for most of her life had a disabling fear of riding in cars. A few years ago she was diagnosed with dementia and admitted to an Assisted Care facility. After changes in medication almost all dementia symptoms have vanished!

I think she now only experiences senior moments, common to most of us in the over 55 age bracket! The amazing thing is the dementia totally erased from her mind what caused her fear of traveling by car! If there is a chance to go anywhere, she is out the door!

Thinking of memories, I think we each need to recall all blessings, "Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things (Philippians 4:8 NAS)." Such things will strengthen us and give us thanksgiving and peace.

Our memories also need a reject capability! I personally want to reject any lingering feelings of defeat from past failures. I cannot relive my past; I must concentrate on today. "For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me (Psalm 51:3 NAS)." He has the power to wipe our slate clean! "Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me, (Psalm 51:10 NAS)." We are able to reject all knowing accusations of condemnation and regret."There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1 NAS)."


The Lord has prepared for us a future with hope and challenge! " Not that I have already obtained it, or have already become perfect, but I press on in order that I may lay hold of that for which I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus, (Philippians 3:12-14 NAS)."

And all of God's people said, AMEN!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print