Toddler In The Pews
by PamFord Davis

A church sanctuary is a place to worship God, to sing His praises, and where we gather to cry out to Him in prayer. It is in warmth of Spirit, our place of fellowship. Is the sanctuary the place for squirming toddlers, restless and wanting to get down and play? Yes! Jesus said to let the little children come unto Him.( Matthew 19:14) Many churches provide a Nursery during the worship hour. That is a valuable service; but children should always be welcome and accepted in the "Big Church!"

Growing up my family seldom attended church, normally going for Christmas and Easter, to recognize Jesus birth and resurrection. As children we were taken to Sunday School on a few occasions, but never on a regular basis. I have myself been in worship services with my children, when they were small, and also with children in my care. I must admit it was not always a very worshipful experience, while trying to keep children contented and quiet. Maybe we all just need to loosen up, let a child be a child!


There was one experience I remember about my brother, when he was two or three years old. I will close with that story, and leave you with Gods' prescription for a merry heart! "A joyful heart makes a cheerful face,"(Proverbs 15:13 NAS) He was in a church service with our family, was a bundle of energy, and would not sit still. He slipped down under the pews to continue his playing.

At that time between 1958-1959 there was a popular song being played on the radio. Our house was filled with music as soon as we got up each morning,so he heard the song often. It had a catchy tune and chorus. Suddenly my little brother shouted out the key words from that chorus: "Who Wears Short Shorts?"

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print