Tumbleweed Trivia
by PamFord Davis

"Go west, young man!" That encouragement led a great many men, women, and families to travel across America, in hopes of a better life out in the unsettled west. To this day western states hold a mystique to those who have never crossed their borders.


I am from central New York State; and after being married we lived in other states, mostly in the south. In 1977 my husband got a job in San Bernardino, CA. We traveled from Ohio with our 2 children and a small used travel trailer. We had never used a camper before; so were green-horns in more ways than one!


The farthest west we had been before was San Angelo, TX. This trip we would need to go nearly to the Pacific Ocean. We enjoyed our trip, and made lots of memories. I remember my excitement when we saw our first tumbleweed! I believe I may have been weaned watching the old westerns; seeing tumbleweed with my own eyes was quite a thrill!


What is tumbleweed? It includes a variety of plants that lose their root system and are tossed around by winds, seemingly lifeless. The interesting trivia is that as they cover large areas of territory they scatter seed in their path. Will we be carbon copies of tumbleweed?


The scriptures warn us to not be easily swayed from our solid foundations of the faith.
"As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves, and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming; but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him, who is the head, even Christ (Ephesians 4:14-15 NAS)."


Another tragedy is if we are tossed about with false doctrine, we will spread seeds of confusion, just as the tumbleweed scatters its seed.

Perfect harmony is heard in the song "Tumbling Tumbleweeds," recorded by many artists over the years. In my book none come close to Roy Rogers and The Sons of The Pioneers! As our Hee Haw friends would say, "Salute!"

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print