Tolerance
by PamFord Davis

A politically correct word for our times is tolerance: "to be indulgent and liberal, allowing things to be done without opposition. It recognizes rights of others to their own opinions and customs as in matters of religious worship, when they do not interfere with the rights of others or with the decency and order, freedom from bigotry or race prejudice"...(tolerance, tolerant, tolerate, toleration/ Britanica World Language Dictionary) Yes, that is a mouth full. Most of us agree that America was built with protections for mans' right to receive "Liberty And Justice For All."


As with most things those freedoms can be used for good or evil...Today that one phrase "when they don't interfere with the rights of others or with decency and order" seems to be ignored. We want our rights to be protected, but very often it is done at the expense of others.


We have seen what the dictionary revealed about tolerance. Now let's go to the true standard for our beliefs, the Bible: " For the time will come when they will not tolerate sound doctrine, but according to their own desires will accumulate teachers for themselves because they have an itch to hear something new. They will turn away from hearing the truth and will turn aside to myths (2 Timothy 4:3-4 HCS)." This speaks to us as clearly today as when first written.


We should not tolerate sin; like cancer it destroys lives. Our Lord Jesus showed love and compassion to people who sinned. He had no tolerance for their sin. When a woman was found in adultery Jesus did not condemn her "And straightening up, Jesus said to her, "Woman, where are they (her accusers) Did no one condemn you?" And she said 'No one, Lord." and Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go your way; from now on sin no more ( John 8: 10-11 HCS)." He knew she needed to turn her back on sin to be free. Let's look to Him for our example and wisdom. He will never lead us to a wrong conclusion!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print