Bouncing Baby Boy
by PamFord Davis

"Congratulations, you are the parents of a bouncing baby boy!" I wonder if they ever really bounce, that would be quite a shock! After working with infants I can assure you many boys do have the energy to bounce, if they discovered how it is done.


Parents proudly announce the birth of a child and names are recorded on official birth certificates. Across the centuries many names are also entered into family Bibles. When men made up the work force in industry, farming, and the military, the birth of sons brought honor to the parents and their home.


Many people skim over family trees in scripture, being anxious to get to the meat of the story. God, the author included these names for a purpose, though sometimes not quickly discovered in our reading.


At Christmas time we are sometimes directed to the genealogy of Jesus. Matthew chapter one traces his family line back through Joseph, his earthy father. Highlighted ancestors include Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and King David. Let's dig a little deeper
"and to Salmon was born Boaz by Rahab; and to Boaz was born Obed by Ruth, and to Obed Jesse; and to Jesse was born David the king (Matthew 1:5-6 NAS)."

Our eyes are quickly drawn to the final name, King David, knowing God promised to bless him with a line of future descendants to reign as King, leading to the birth of Jesus, The King of Kings!We may skip over the names of the two women, Rahab and Ruth; but they were just as vital to link Jesus with His line of the Kings of Judah.


Ruth, we often honor for her loyalty to her mother in law Naomi and choice to follow the God of Naomi, Jehovah. Rahab is a less likely candidate for special recognition by many. She is more like a skeleton hidden in a family closet, "Then Joshua the son of Nun sent two men as spies secretly from Shittim, saying, Go view the land, especially Jericho. So they went and came into the house of a harlot whose name was Rahab, and lodged there (Joshua 2:1 NAS)."


Yes, Rahab listed in our story of Jesus birth, holds the distinction of once living as a prostitute. God can change, will completely transform anyone! Rahabs' home served as a perfect hide out. Respectable people would avoid her residence; so quick inquiries were made by a search team, and then her house could be checked off the list.


She had belief in the powerful God of the spies, asked for their protection; and it would be granted. God gave her a clear slate and soon she would be included in the blood line of God's chosen people.



Her bouncing baby boy, Boaz would one day marry Ruth our other woman in the spotlight. God has a plan and a privilege for even prostitutes!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print