A Little Birdie Told Me So
by PamFord Davis

Sometimes we hear old timers using phrases they picked up many years ago. A few you should recognize are: " The early bird gets the worm." / "A penny saved is a penny earned."/ "Cleanliness is next to godliness."/ "God helps those who help themselves."( No, that one is not from the Bible!) I think most of these old sayings were quotes from Benjamin Franklin.


Today, I want to share another..." A little birdie told me so!" I remember as a young girl we would whisper secrets to friends. They usually did not remain a secret for long! Someone would come up to you later, with a smirk on their face, saying " I know something you don't know," voiced in a sarcastic tone of voice.

They would tell their juicy secret; and you asked where they had heard that. Like a good newspaper reporter they would not reveal their source! Then in a sound of triumph and mystery they would say " A little birdie told me so!"

I was surprised the first time I came across the source of the childhood secret messenger. It is found in Ecclesiastes 10:20. It is a warning that even in the secrecy of our private bedrooms, what we say may be coming back to us later! "For a bird of the heavens will carry the sound, and the winged creature will make the matter known (NAS)."


To close I'll use another catchy phrase: " Well, I'll be dogged gone!"

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print