Clap or Cringe?
by PamFord Davis

Do you clap your hands or cringe when offered a Senior Citizen discount? I believe it is wonderful that we get some breaks from generous merchants. We all pinch our pennies and over an extended period of time, those discounts can really make a difference.


At times we may need to ask before we make a purchase, to see if any reduction in price is available. The extra effort is well worth any inconvenience. If planning a trip some internet searching for motels and restaurants along the travel route offering discounts could result in extra pocket money for souvenirs!


My husband loves to share the true story from several years back. I was at a fast food restaurant alone and ordered a few items and went to my table. I have never been good with math; but I was quite sure my purchase total added up to more than I was charged.


I returned to the counter, wanting to do the right thing. I know at the end of a shift the totals are supposed to be correct, or some employers take the difference out of the pay check of the clerk. After explaining they rechecked my order and said, "We gave you the Sr. Citizen discount." The problem was I had not crossed that golden threshold, yet!
At the time I had long hair with a nice perm. I guess the gray was more pronounced than I realized!


The Bible very often refers to the golden years, "Even to your old age, I shall be the same, and even to your graying years I shall bear you! I have done it, and I shall carry you; and I shall bear you, and I shall deliver you (Isaiah 46:4 NAS)."


I think I may purchase a big round button to wear saying, "On the decline, discounts delightful!"

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print