Foster Care
by PamFord Davis

The Foster Parent organizations give help and care for countless numbers of children; and their influence can not be calculated. Today I pondered the role of "Foster Grandparents."
Many children do not have the close contact and support of grandparents. We are in a mobile society; and many children can not stop by grandmas' for milk and cookies after school. Little girls can not help granny cut out Christmas cookies; and boys can not spend a hot summer afternoon under a shade tree, on the bank of a river, fishing with grand daddy.


Even if distance does not separate children from grandparents, divorce may. Sometimes time apart is even created by court restraining orders. How tragic for both the young and old to be cut off from rewarding relationships.


I am not sure if there is an official group designated for foster grandparents; but it would be a worthy service. I do personally know a foster grandmother; "Am" has willingly and happily served in the role to our grandchildren in FL. They have free access to all of their natural grandparents; but from the time they were born, she stepped in to be added to those so blessed.


She changed diapers, fed the babies bottles, treated them to bubble baths and summer swimming pool cool downs. They enjoyed story books, Ninja Turtles and Power Rangers. Their favorite foods, snacks and beverages were stocked in her cabinets and refrigerator.


As they grew a little older visits were not as frequent; because school stepped in to fill many hours. Yet, they always remember "Am" and love chats, now on their own cell phones. Happy Foster Grandmothers' Day, Am!


If you have no grandchildren of your own, your love and services are greatly needed! Let others know you are available; and wait for the phone to ring, "Granny, can I come spend the night with you?"

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print