Lewis and Clark
by PamFord Davis

Every child needs a place in the spotlight at least once. Maybe it is that first home run on the little league team and the sound of a cheering crowd. A piano recital for a nervous little girl sitting on the edge of the piano bench and hearing applause will leave behind lasting memories. I was never good in athletics and was usually a last choice when captains were picking teams. I did not play a musical instrument or have an outstanding voice. My honor came when I was chosen for a skit in elementary school.


The performance was not a big evening event shared in front of a large audience of friends and family. As I remember it was during school hours and only for children in the lower grades. As a part of history studies we must have been having lessons about The Lewis and Clark expedition in the early 1800's. A group was commissioned to travel to the Pacific Ocean, under an appointment by President Thomas Jefferson.


I was assigned the role of Sacagawea, a Shoshone Indian squaw. She was a translator for the group led by Lewis and Clark; and she also served at times as a guide in territory familiar to her.

I can still remember the pride I felt up on the stage at one end of our cafeteria. I wore my brown Brownie Scout uniform and probably some head feathers. Looking back I don't know why I wore my Brownie dress. My teacher may have thought the light brown color was like the leather garments worn by the Indians.

To this day I like the sound of the name Sacagawea. Her name is given honor in Americas' recorded history of our early expansion westward. I don't think she would mind that a little girl once shared the spotlight for a brief moment in time.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print