Acts 6:8
by Don Costello

Acts 6:8

And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and miracles among the people.

1. "And Stephen, full of faith and power"

a. faith[4102 * pistis] [Zodhiates: faith].
b. NIV "Now Stephen, a man full of God's grace and power
c. The differences are because of the manuscripts used. The manuscript used in the KJV says "faith", while the manuscript used in the NIV says "grace". I choose to follow the KJV.
d. I do so because it takes faith to operate in the supernatural. Even though it is the Holy Ghost doing the works, it takes faith to co-labor with him. This is revealed in the gospel of Matthew.
1). Matthew 17:14-21 And when they were come to the multitude, there came to him a certain man, kneeling down to him, and saying,
Lord, have mercy on my son: for he is lunatick, and sore vexed: for ofttimes he falleth into the fire, and oft into the water.
And I brought him to thy disciples, and they could not cure him.
Then Jesus answered and said, O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him hither to me.
And Jesus rebuked the devil; and he departed out of him: and the child was cured from that very hour.
Then came the disciples to Jesus apart, and said, Why could not we cast him out?
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you.
Howbeit this kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting.
e. Scripture says in Romans 10:17, "So then faith cometh be hearing, and hearing by the word of God."
1). Stephen was full of faith because he was full of the word of God. This is shown very clearly in his preaching in chapter 7. Stephen knew the word of God.
e. Stephen was full of power because he was full of the Holy Ghost. When they were choosing out men to take care of the ministry to widows this was one of the qualifications mentioned.
1). Acts 6:3 "Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business."
2. "did great wonders and miracles among the people."

a. Jesus said we would do greater works than he did.

1). John 14:12-14 "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go to my Father.
And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it."


My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print