Chicken Backs
by PamFord Davis

A mother makes many sacrifices for her children; in love no sacrifice is too great. Our children are extensions of our very lives; and we desire the very best for them.


Many times we take those sacrifices for granted as we grow up. Some are not only ignored but completely unknown to us. Children from large families realize that many necessities are stretched to the limit, to give everyone a fair share.


Growing up Mom halved our chewing gum. That would double the amount in a pack of gum, meaning more for all to enjoy! I know of two sacrifices that my mom made to stretch what she had for her children. She rarely drank milk; with five children developing growing bones, she let them drink her desired portions.


The other sacrifice means a lot to me. She prepared big platters of fried chicken for Sunday dinners, using whole cut up chickens. Everybody has favorite sections of the bird to eat. Lots of children choose the drum sticks or the wings. Mom's favorite was the breast; but her usual selection would be the chicken backs. I can really appreciate that today looking back to times sitting around our kitchen table. When I see chicken backs I think of her sacrifice for me


Jesus made a sacrifice that far surpasses chicken. He offers His heart! He emptied Himself of His heavenly glory; and He came to serve, taking the form of man. (Philippians 2:6-7). "And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death on a cross (Philippians 2:8 NAS)."


He sacrificed His life for me! He viewed the Father's big family; and He knew no sacrifice would be too great! One day we will all be seated around the table with Him; Thank You, Lord!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print