The Porch Light
by PamFord Davis

"We'll leave the porch light on for you." Such friendly words make us feel accepted and cared for. A popular motel chain borrowed the concept for their advertizing and proved to be very effective. On a dark night the light breaks the darkness, illuminates the doorway to comfort and security.


Are there special homes, cities, or churches where you feel a great outpouring of love and acceptance? When we find such tenderness we are drawn to that "porch light" like a moth to a flame! We just keep coming back for more!


I believe Jesus found that comfort in the city of Bethany. On several occasions scripture describes his visits in the city with his good friends, Mary, Martha, and their brother Lazarus. We do not know of a last name; in the Bible we know members of God's family on a "first name basis!"


Yes, I think they left the "porch light on" for Jesus and his disciples. He could come at any hour and find refreshment for His body and Spirit. Will we give the same welcome sign to others; or do they see "no vacancies?"


A very short simple verse speaks volumes to me. "And He left them and went out of the city to Bethany, and lodged there (Matthew 21:17 NAS)." Following a day of Hosannas, clearing money changers from the temple, and dealing with indignant religious leaders, Jesus anticipated the refuge of the city, Bethany.


Do you think He had a standing invitation? Likely He returned at every opportunity.
Maybe the popular "welcome wagon" to greet new residents in a community got a start in the hearts of a Bethany family. Coupons and discounts to local business firms is a good introduction; but I still prefer the warm welcome of a porch light!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print