Acts 1:7
by Don Costello

Acts 1:7

And he said unto them, It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power.

1. "It is not for you to know the times or the seasons, which the Father hath put in his own power."

a. power [1849 * exousia] [Zodhiates: Permission, authority.]

a. Amplified Bible: "He said unto them, It is not for you to become acquainted with and know what time brings --the things and events of time and their definite periods fixed years and seasons (their critical nick of time), which the Father has appointed (fixed and reserved) by His own choice and authority and personal power."

b. In light of the next verse I can not help but think he was trying to get their hearts to focus on what their most important task was, to win the world to Him, and not be carried away with times and seasons concerning the glorious kingdom of Israel.

c. Yet, decades later when the Apostle Paul was writing of the coming of Christ he wrote that the church was not to be in darkness concerning that day.

1). 1 Thessalonians 5:1-5 "But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.
For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.
Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness."

d. Nevertheless, our most important task is to fulfill the great Commission.

1). Matthew 28:18-20 "And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen."


My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print