From Darkness into the Light
by Scarlett Farr

Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters. And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." (Genesis 1:2-5)

Empty and dark. . . when describing a house, it's very uninviting. Who knows what is lurking in an empty and dark house -- it conjures up all sorts of adjectives - cold, scary, depressing, evil. For me it brings to mind visions of a haunted house with a few dried leaves clinging to limbs that scratch against the sides of the house while lightning rips across the darkness, destroying everything it touches.

Empty and dark. . . .that is how Genesis describes the earth before God transformed it. Empty and dark. . . . it also describes us before God transforms us. Just like an empty and dark house, we are cold, scared, depressed and evil. As the dying tree branches flail against the dark and empty house, the things and people we surround ourselves with flail and scratch at us until we are battered and broken. Trouble, like a flash of lightning, is always on the horizon, threatening to destroy us.

God hovered over the dark water millions of years ago and created something beautiful from nothing. Now He hovers over us, completely willing to create something beautiful in us. He patiently waits for those in darkness and emptiness to call out to Him. When the call comes, God will always say, "Let there be light". He will separate each of us from darkness as easily and swiftly as He separated day from night. When the Light comes, the emptiness will fade away as He creates a peacefulness that can never be duplicated by the empty darkness of the old haunted house.

Empty and dark. . . .in the beginning that is the house we all live in. It's cold, scary, depressing and evil. Some of us live in that house for only a little while and some of us have stayed and redecorated several times, trying to wallpaper over the emptiness and darkness to no avail. If you are contemplating calling the decorator again, maybe you just need some Light.


Scarlett Farr lives with her husband, daughter and dog in Lizella, Georgia.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print