To Dust You Shall Return
by PamFord Davis

We joke about some ones age, remarking they are "as old as dirt!" Well, I guess that is pretty old! Now, that I have hit the sixty mark, I am conscious of my many signs of aging. Car enthusiasts fancy a car that accelerates quickly from 0-100. My acceleration has greatly decreased! When I get up after sitting, it takes me a few minutes to get moving. I'm glad I am not being timed! My gears need lubrication; because I get pretty stiff.


I think I am "as old as dust!" We all remember the Genesis account of the sin of Adam and Eve, and God's confronting the couple in the Garden of Eden. Part of His closing remarks include, "By the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, till you return to the ground, because from it you were taken; for you are dust, and to dust you shall return (Genesis 3:19 NAS)." When I think of dust it seems dry, as in the depression "dust bowl," a time of drought. Last night while getting ready for bed the thought of returning to dust seemed very relevant.


My bedtime routine includes brushing my teeth, taking medications (definite sign of aging!) putting moisturizer on my face, and putting artificial tears in my eyes. Last night after reading my devotionals I rubbed cream on my hands and feet. I did all of this mechanically; but then the last step got my attention. I put Chap Stick on and thought; my whole body is drying out! I am returning to dust!


We know our days are numbered and the clock keeps ticking. I'll just keep adding moisture where ever I can, and keep the dust down!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print