I'm A Little Tea Pot!
by PamFord Davis

Tea pots are very special to me! The children's song, "I'm A Little Tea Pot" is a tune I remember clearly from kindergarten. Even the motions involved to act out the song remain in my memories. The lyrics have a profound message within the simple words:
"I'm a little tea pot, short and stout,
Here is my handle,here is my spout
When I get all steamed up, hear me shout
Just tip me over and pour me out!"


At home my mom often had a fresh pot of tea on the kitchen table during meal times. It was not a fancy china pot, constructed from simple aluminum; the small pot was practical and inexpensive. The tea pot brought out special feelings of comfort and relaxation.


As an adult I became a tea drinker, choosing tea and sugar when served hot, and unsweetened when iced tea. When I was in my 40's I began to collect tea pots, starting my collection with a gift from my daughter. Later she was living in England, when her husband was stationed at Lakenheath AFB, near Cambridge. During two visits with her family I had the treat of enjoying the most delicious tea I had ever tasted!


After Mom died I had the blessing of adding a white porcelain, gold trimmed tea set to my collection, which had been a 50th wedding anniversary gift to Grandma and Grandpa Ford. It is a center piece attraction on my dining room table, and cherished in my heart.


Now, back to our song As a Christian I can be a vessel for service, "God's Little Tea Pot." I am "little," at five feet tall; that is a match. Am I "stout?" I'm trying to avoid middle age spread; so, I'll skip that one! I guess the "handle" would represent my hands to be reaching out, to touch, and give to others. What about my "spout?" That would represent a life open, and free of sin, allowing God to work through me. The "steam" is a picture of God's glory, just as smoke filled the temple. What do we hear when the tea begins to boil? A whistle is our signal, to remove the pot from the stove. I desire my life to express the melody of joy, praise and music. Those around me may be led to "give a little whistle!"


Now, for the finished product; it is time to "pour me out!" Our lives should be a living sacrifice. "I urge you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship,
(Romans 12:1 NAS)." We should be poured out and empty of selfishness, allowing the Holy Spirit to take control, flowing into the lives of others. "For I am already being poured out as a drink offering (2 Timothy 4:6a NAS)." I'm a "Little Tea Pot," and it is always tea time! Won't you join me?

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print