Sticks and Stones
by PamFord Davis

Children can be very cruel; their mocking and name calling often hurts a great deal. Today there is a national focus on those who "bully" others. It seems to be a root cause for such extreme violence as school shootings. Now, a new term has been coined; "Cyber Bullies" are a threat to those who innocently browse the web.


"Sticks and bones may break my bones; but names will never hurt me!" Beware of that deception! We all need to be encouraged, praised, loved, and accepted. Our words can do a great deal of good or harm; the choice is ours.


Have you ever been around some one whose words seemed to tear another apart? Do you know of a husband and wife who quarrel constantly? They act like savage animals, ready to devour each other! "But if you bite and devour one another, take care lest you be consumed by one another. (Galatians 5:15 NAS)."


The Lord urges us to build each other up, by our words and our actions. Paul's prayer revealed the source of building and encouraging, found in God's grace. (Acts 20:32) The scriptures even give an example of boys who taunted the prophet, Elisha. (2 Kings 2:23-24) Sadly, this story of verbal abuse ended in an act of revenge, revealing even God's chosen messengers are capable of losing their temper.


Let's gather up those sticks and stones and build an altar! Let our words be the sacrifice of praise!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print