Rocking Chairs
by PamFord Davis

As I began this article I was writing in a rocker glider. I have been a rocking chair fan most of my life. My mom had one in our living room; and there were rockers on my grandparent's porches. I believe babies are to be loved, fed, diapered, bathed, and ROCKED! I began babysitting at age eleven; and I have happily rocked many babies.


After my first child was born we picked up an old wooden rocker. A couple of years later our next child was born. One Christmas my husband's parents gave me a beautiful small white rocker, with a cushioned back and seat. I was thrilled! In the past forty years there have been many rockers, some holding special memories.


I enjoy old movies, especially from the 1930-1950's era. One of my favorite Christmas classics is "Christmas in Connecticut," starring Barbara Stanwyck and Dennis Morgan. In one scene he demonstrated different methods and reasons for rocking. It's a keeper!


The "Britannica World Language Dictionary" explains rocking in ways such as: "moving back and forth, to swayto soothe, as to put to sleep." We sing "rock-a-bye lullabies!" Now I understand the appeal of rockers; it is soothing to rock! The dictionary defines soothe: "to restore to calm, to a quiet or normal state." Jesus, who "calmed" the raging sea, (Mark 4:39) is my Rock. He soothes me as He rocks me in His arms!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print