Why Must We Be Strong?
by PamFord Davis

Have you ever heard a stern father tell their child not to cry, that they must be strong? To some individuals that idea is deeply embedded in their memories. Why must we be strong? In reality, we are all weak; our only reliable strength is in our trusting our mighty God! He is our Rock. "I will look up my eyes to the mountains; from whence shall my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth (Psalm 121:1-2 NAS)."


There are times when only those who are strong can cry, can allow themselves to be vulnerable and transparent. One example is seen in times of great loss, when we have experienced the death of a loved one. Other situations may be the loss of a job, broken relationships or loss of health.


Honest grief is revealed in 2 Samuel 3:30-39. King David's military leader, Joab was responsible for the death of a man called Abner. David felt that the death could not be justified; and he called for a time of mourning. The people were weeping, along with their leader. He refused to eat, and fasted in his sorrow. He spoke words of respect and praise to honor the dead man at the funeral. He could even openly confess his trouble accepting his loss. (Verse 39) Many Kings or leaders would be afraid of losing their "approval rating!" How would David be scored? "Now all the people took note of it, and it pleased them, just as everything the king did pleased all the people (2 Samuel 3:36 NAS)." Remember, he not only pleased the people; he was "a man after God's own heart." (1 Samuel 13:14) Jesus also wept when His good friend Lazarus died. (John 11:34-36) Allow yourself to grieve. You will be in good company.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print