Majority Rules
by PamFord Davis

We live in a society that likes to see things run by the opinion of the majority. That only seems fair; right? It may seem logical to settle questions that way; but it is not a fool proof plan.


As churches most vote among the church members about issues that effect us all. Any pastor or committee chairman is thrilled to get a unanimous vote of approval to their motion! What happens if they get 51% approval and their motion passes? The leadership may decide to drop the suggestion for the current time, and seek the Lord for guidance.


At one time King Ahab of Israel and King Jehoshaphat of Judah were forming battle plans against a common enemy. Ahab sought the advice of 400 prophets to determine if they should attack. It was a unanimous decision! "Go up, for the Lord will deliver it into the hand of the King (1 Kings 22:6b NKJ)." Ahab had intentionally left out the opinion of Micaiah the prophet. He didn't make it a practice to just tell the king what he wanted to hear. He spoke a message of "Thus saith the Lord!" As the story developed Micaiah was also brought in for consultation. After a final word that Israel would be scattered, "the bottom line" was revealed. A lying Spirit was put in the mouths of the prophets to entice the king!
(1 Kings 22: 13-22) The majority was dead wrong! When we face important decisions we need to trust God, not only the opinion of others. (Proverbs 3:5-6) He will direct our steps!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print