Job Opportunity
by Randy Kosloski

My work is my refuge. There is a verse in Ecclesiastes that I often cling to, "Wherefore I perceive that there is nothing better, than that a man should rejoice in his own works; for that is his portion." I am in Human Resources because Human resources this is where a company succeeds and fails. Every company has resources, but it is its humans, its people that are always its greatest resource. I know how to grow a company, I know how to sustain a company and I know how to downsize a company all to the greatest benefit of the company. This is what I do, this is my life's work and I am outstanding at it, and I know I this because I love it and hardly ever stop working.
Work is where I feel competent, efficient, and successful. I can admit it, I am a fragile man and I need to feel competent, efficient, and successful. Family, romance, community these are areas of my life that I have had limited success in. In order to feel worth the breath I take I must always return to the place where I feel competent, efficient, and successful, my work.
I am a father of two and I have always felt awkward in that role. As a matter of fact I have always felt awkward in my home. I somehow seem to be out of step with the routine and never know what my children expect from me, what I should be giving them. I hoped that things would get easier as they got older and I could relate to them better but that never happened. My daughter seems to accept my parental shortcomings more than my son. He is through high school now and I still feel like a stranger in his life. The times where such feelings of insecurity and failure overwhelm me I gravitate back to my office. The first thing I like to do to find myself again is read through those applications for employment.
I love reading resumes it is my favorite part of this job. I am pretty sure that I can tell you how long an applicant spent on his application just by reading it. Type-Os other grammatical errors say less than an hour. Resumes that fail to put categories in order of importance may well be over an hour but less than 3. Resumes grammatically precise and organized in priority tell me that an applicant wants my attention; an applicant is ready to put in the necessary time and effort to succeed to get my attention and will likely be willing to put in the time and effort to help the company succeed.
I had to go to the office this evening. It is my son's graduation night and everyone is busy making themselves and planning the fancy family dinner afterwards. I wanted to be the first through the bathroom so as to not clog anything up, following that I felt on the outside a little more than I could comfortably handle. With more than two hours to go before we leave for the graduation, I went to the office to scan through some resumes, and try and creep back into my own skin.
The resumes that give me the best chuckle are the ones with graphic art on them. I appreciate people's artistic abilities but they do not scream success.
"Objective To create a better and beautiful community and world at large"
This isn't Greenpeace honey.
"Employment History
- Cashier Attending to customer needs with cheer and enthusiasm
- Camp Counselor Creatively providing care and education to children"
I was expecting to see her childhood lemonade stand on the list.
I love the other extreme almost as much, where the candidate is expressing in his/her resume, a willingness to execute his/her own mother to obtain the position. Because we all know there is nothing like putting the company first.
"Professional Qualities
- A committed nature that propels me to succeed at virtually any cost.
- A respect for authority that allows me to be a sharp tool for any organization."
Hold the phone I found an enforcer for our pet supplies company. Really what kind of position are you looking for, putting horse heads in people's beds.
I read another resume today that caught my attention for an entirely different reason. Mainly because the name streamed across the top in my favourite font was the same name of my son who is graduating today. It was organized in my favourite way with identifying information and then an objective, highlights and qualifications followed by education and work history, it was perfect. But it read like no other resume I had ever seen before.
Objective: To make my father proud and live up to his example of hard work & sacrifice

Highlights and Qualifications
- I once caught a sixty yard pass for a tie-breaking touchdown though few I cared about witnessed it
- I also nursed a sparrow back to health after he crashed into our dining room window by myself.
- I recently replaced drywall, plastered over, and repainted a hole I had put in my bedroom wall, playing basketball with my indoor mini net. No one noticed the hole or the patchwork so it was a success.
Education
- I have learned by watching for the most part, watching my father work and move in order to best achieve success.

- I have also learned from my failures in attempting to draw my father's attention, time, and effort.

Work History

- I have worked my entire life to one end to gain the acceptance, love, and attention of my father
I am driving now, back home to my family. There is still 45 minutes until we have to leave for the graduation. I want to spend as much time as I can with my son even if all I do is sit and watch him get ready himself. He knows my favourite font and how I like resumes organized perfectly, yet feel like a stranger in his life. I thought that I did not matter to him because I am not an outstanding Dad. Right now I think that it is my outstanding career that does not matter. I will work through my feelings of inadequacy and insecurity to be close to him and I will sacrifice my feelings of competency, efficiency and success as an employee to be an imperfect Dad. Maybe I can beef up his resume.

I am currently social worker, formerly a therpist, father of two husband to one, and a struggling follower of Christ. It always makes me smile to think there are people readig my work.  Any coments or questions or leads to selling my work just send me an email [email protected]. Thanks.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print