Talking Animals
by PamFord Davis

Our family still enjoys the re-runs of "Mr. Ed" television programs. Ed was a horse with spunk! I know at times his master Wilbur wished he would get an animal attitude adjustment! The way for that program was paved by a series of movies starring Donald O'Connor and his faithful mule "Francis." Their military base antics provided fun for all.


Even the Bible has a talking donkey! This time no Hollywood tricks were needed. God was the source of miraculous speech. Our Bible story revolves around a prophet named Balaam, who tried to stretch God's patience to the limit! (Numbers 22: 12-22) The angel of the Lord stood in the path traveled by Balaam and his donkey. The angel of the Lord was visible to the donkey; so he veered off the road and into a field. In anger Balaam hit the donkey and directed him back onto the path. The angel stood in the narrow pathway in the vineyards. There were walls on opposite sides of the path. Seeing the angel again the donkey pushed into the wall, crushing Balaam's foot. In anger he hit his beast of burden! The angel of the Lord stationed Himself where the angel was trapped! He just folded under Balaam, bringing them both down! The prophet reached his boiling point and struck the animal again. To his amazement his donkey offered words of wisdom! "So the donkey said to Balaam, Am I not your donkey on which you have ridden, ever since I became yours, to this day? Was I ever disposed to do this to you? And he said, No (Numbers 22:30 NKJ)." Now, that would be an eye opener! God opened Balaam's ears to hear an animal, and his eyes to see the angel through the talking donkey.


I wonder what another donkey found in scripture would say to us? This animal gave Jesus a ride into Jerusalem one special day. (Matthew 21: 2-5) He played a crucial part of Jesus triumphant entry into the city, with the shouts of Hosanna ringing in its drooping ears! "What is that you say, donkey?" "Jerusalem, give me your attention please! I, a simple donkey carry the Lamb of God!" Mr. Doolittle had the right idea; let's talk and listen to the animals!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print