River's Edge
by

It is hard to imagine my life without a daily walk down by the river. The river had been my life source in a way I have not experienced before at anytime, anywhere, or since. My river walk experiences introduced many changes into my life. It was a place where I would soak in the warmth of the sunshine and feel the coolness of a winter breeze. There, I would pondered on God's mercies and grace. There was no better place to spend time with my Lord at the start of the day than by the river.

The first few times I attempted those daily walks, I found it to be quite a difficult task to accomplish. I had previously considered it was enough to sit on the grass beside the car and enjoy the peace. Finally, I began to make that daily walk and found that place of solace.
Walking was a painful experience but after almost ten years of dragging my right leg behind me like a piece of heavy driftwood, a podiatrist introduced me to a new friend, a drop-foot brace. The orthotic gave me a much more normal gait pattern and allowed me to walk with less stress on the joints. It created a reflex movement that allowed me to swing my leg forward in a more normal walking rhythm.

After my times spent by the river, my writing inspiration came in torrents and swiftly, yet this river was calm and serene. It was like being in harmony with creation, independently closer to God the Creator. Expressions of my thoughts I shared through my poems and devotions were stimulated by my river walks. Words, sentences and even simple ideas, blended into my thoughts as I took in the glorious surroundings. I offered up many a prayer to my Lord when walking the brick pathway along that river's edge.

A wooden park bench had been thoughtfully placed on a grassy bank, and there I would take in the panoramic view that overlooked a bend in the river. I loved to sit a while before taking the trek back along the pathway to the car and begin another day. I could view the distant mountain range which formed an uneven outline of the horizon. When I looked back up the river, I could see the still sturdy ancient bridge where cars and trucks travel back and forth to their destinations. The bridge spread over a wider section of the river. Its distance gave the scene a toy-like appearance.

Every living plant and creature around me worshiped the Lord with its uniqueness. Every day it amazed me at the many new discoveries in the beauty of that river. I learned much about my Lord in portraits painted by the Creator. The river reflected the majestic wonder of God's greatness. The realization that I too am unique in God's plan had deepened my relationship with the Father.

Sadly, my river walks came to a sudden end. I spent months housebound, and eventually confined to bed until major back surgery October 2007. A few short months later I was mobile again but we moved interstate and hundreds of miles from the river that had changed my life.

I did have the opportunity to walk beside a lake, but it's not the same, yet I know the creator meets me anywhere at any time, and He does.
Until recent knee surgery I had again experience the constraints of the home. Although not as long as my previous confinement, I was able to get through it all with the experience of knowing God is with me where ever I am. With time and healing I hope to find another special place; a place of solitude and peace where I can pour out my soul to the Father.

He knows my every weakness. He knows my every pain and I know He is always with me at my river's edge.

In creation, I see peace, beauty and expectations of God's promises to his children.

One day I will be with Him, in all His glory, in a place where there is no more pain and tears are wiped away. Until then, I will enjoy the little pleasures in this life He has given to me. I will spend time walking beside Him...no matter where ever I am.

Chrissy Siggee

Chrissy Siggee is the author of 'Glimpses of His Glory', a collection of her poetry, devotions, pencil illustrations and nature photos. - SORRY - SOLD OUT! 
Chrissy is also the author of the teen novel 'Out of the Shadows - Jenna's Secret.' http://chrissysiggee.com/shadows/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print