Poolside Ponderings
by darlene hight

Scripture Reading: John 5:1-9


Once in the city of Jerusalem near the gate where sheep were herded in and out of the city sat a pool. Five covered columns surrounded the pool. Occasionally, and angel came and stirred the waters. When this happened, the waters developed a healing quality, which apparently contained only enough medicinal benefits for one person.


All those with physical ailments hung at the poolside hoping to get lucky. One would assume that if a disabled person waited at the pool they were willing to be healed. Yet, Jesus asked a man who had and infirmity for thirty-eight years, "Do you want to be well?" The man's response wasn't a "yes" or a "no". He explained that each time the angel came, someone stepped down ahead of him.


So the question that springs to my mind is, "Was he willing to be healed but not able or able to be healed but not willing?" I have known people and maybe on occasion have been a person who enjoys tragedy. These people are easily identifiable by comments that they make such as, "You're not going to believe what happened to me, now" or "If it wasn't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all. However, I have, also, known people who never seem to catch a break. Who truly only seem to have bad luck. Their lives are shrouded with hardship upon hardship, so much so that you wonder how they manage to bear up under the pressure.


Whatever our circumstance, no matter what type of personality bent we have, when Jesus comes along and says, "Take up your mat and walk." We need to remember that he is able but we must be willing.

Darlene Hight 

Darlene is a writer who travels with her husband, Mark across rural United States as he builds power plants.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print