Hand Holding
by PamFord Davis

Widows and orphans are eternally on the mind of God. Through out the Bible we see reminders for us to care for them, and when they are oppressed, to come to their defense. The Lord sees their deepest needs and depends on us to partner with Him to touch their lives with compassion.


We assume material needs will be met for widows through life insurance or pension benefits. She is blessed if those funds are readily available; but often women are left to straighten out financial issues while dealing with sorrow. Housewives outside of the work force for many years may be thrust into stressful job searching. Career women longing to spend time alone with memories are not given that luxury; and try to control raw emotions on the job.


What can we do to lighten their load? Our friendship and prayer support means more than we realize. We don't have instant solutions and can not remove their pain; yet our encouragement and love give strength in times of sadness and despair. Be willing to listen and make yourself available when they feel lonely. Companionship is of a far greater need than conversation; develop the art of attentive listening and hand holding.


Scriptures offer many words of God to encourage a widow in those first days, weeks, months and through empty years. They are not alone! "Do not fear, for you will not be ashamed; neither be disgraced, for you will not be put to shame; for you will forget the shame of your youth, and will not remember the reproach of your widowhood anymore. For your Maker is your husband, the Lord of hosts is His name; and your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel; He is called the God of the whole earth (Isaiah 54:4-5 NKJ)." The Lord waits to tenderly embrace widows and heals broken hearts.

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print