1 Timothy 1:18
by Don Costello

1 Timothy 1:18

This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightiest war a good warfare;

1. "according to the prophecies which went before on thee"

a. There were prophetic words spoken over Timothy previously. Who spoke them and what they said is unknown.

b. Prophetic words are to speak into men's lives, either edification, exhortation , or comfort.

1). 1 Corinthians 14:3 "But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort."

2. "that thou by them mightiest war a good warfare."

a. Paul is telling Timothy that he can use the words spoken over him to "war a good warfare". The warfare he is referring to is bringing the thought life in line with the word of God.

1). 2 Corinthians 10:3-6 "For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
(For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds;)
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exhalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
And having in a readiness to revenge all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled"

b. Later in the same letter, in 1 Timothy 6:12, Paul exhorted Timothy to "fight the good fight of faith."


My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print