How some believers profane the Sabbath Day
by Robert Randle

Almost anyone who has studied the Old Testament is familiar with the "Ten Commandments" and the injunction by the LORD God to 'remember the Sabbath;' but what exactly does that mean? There are many believing Christians (Gentiles and Netzari) as well as Jews who observe the Sabbath ["Shabbat"], but is it in the way that the LORD requires? Some prepare feasts or fellowship meals on this sacred 'Day' in violation of God's command, irrespective of how religiously devoted they are. The following Scriptures are offered for consideration and reflection.

Exodus 16: 11-12, 1522-23, 24a, 25, 29-30
And the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, "I have heard the complaints of the children of Israel. Speak to them, saying, 'At twilight you shall eat meat, and in the morning you shall be filled with bread. And you shall know that I AM the LORD your God.' " So when the children of Israel saw it, they said to one another, "What is it?" For they did not know what it was. And Moses said to them, "This is the bread which the LORD has given you to eat." And so it was, on the sixth day, that they had gathered twice as much bread, two omers for each one. And all the rulers of the congregation [assembly] came and told Moses. Then he said to them, "This is what the LORD has said: 'Tomorrow is a Sabbath rest, a holy Sabbath to the LORD. Bake what you will bake today and boil what you will boil; and lay up for yourselves all that remains, to be kept until morning.' " So they laid it up until morning, as Moses had commanded . . . Then Moses said, "Eat that today, for today is a Sabbath to the LORD. . . "See! For the LORD has given you on the Sabbath; therefore He gives you on the sixth day bread for two days. Let every man remain in his place; let no man go out of his place on the seventh day [to gather {v. 27}]." So the people rested on the seventh day.

NOTE: The regulation for Sabbath observance in antiquity is just as binding today as it was back then, which is; to prepare one's food (bake, broil, microwave, steam, roast, barbecue, fry, boil, simmer, open flame pit, etc.) and then to store it up so that when the Sabbath arrives, all one need to is just eat your food. Even serving it [to another] would be a violation of the Sabbath, and one should expend the very minimal amount of effort in partaking of their meals.

Someone might suggest that heating up food in the oven or preparing cold drinks in a large punch bowl is such a small thing and isn't displeasing to the LORD in the least; but think again.

Exodus 31: 14-15
You shall keep the Sabbath, therefore, for it is holy to you. Everyone who profanes it shall surely be put to death; for whoever does "any" work on it, that person shall be cut off from among his people. Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh is the Sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD. Whoever does "any" work on the Sabbath Day; he shall surely be put to death.



Exodus 35: 1-3
Then Moses gathered all the congregation [assembly] of the children of Israel together, and said to them, "These are the words which the LORD has commanded you to do: "Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh day shall be a holy day for you, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does "any" work on it shall be put to death. You shall kindle no fire throughout your dwellings on the Sabbath Day."

Numbers 15: 32-36
Now while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath Day. And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron and to the entire congregation [assembly]. They put him under guard because it had not been explained what should be done to him. Then the LORD said to Moses, "The man must surely be put to death; the entire congregation [assembly] shall stone him with stones outside the camp." So, as the LORD commanded Moses, the entire congregation [assembly] brought him outside the camp and stoned him with stones, and he died.

NOTE: It seems like such a severe judgment for a seemingly minor infraction, but the LORD must be honored and sanctified in the sight of the people, and His Word has to be taken seriously. In Ezekiel 20: 13b, 16b, 21b, and 24b, the prophet decries God's anguish regarding the children of Israel profaning His Sabbath through their rebellion in not following His laws and statutes, but what does 'profane' mean? According to "WEBSTER'S" it means; 1: to treat (something sacred) with abuse, irreverence, or contempt. When someone, no matter how noble their intentions, sets aside the commandments of God, it is like Romans 10: 3, which states: For they [Israel] being ignorant of God's righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. Let us be as the psalmist who said: Vindicate me, O LORD, For I have walked in my integrity. I have also trusted in the LORD; I shall not slip [be in error or sin]. Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; Try my mind and my heart (Cp. Psalms 26: 1-20).

[email protected]
http://choirboy51.blogspot.com

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print