I Am Dying
by Irvin Rozier

Yesterday, I saw a man that I went to school with when I was younger. I asked him how he was doing, and he replied "I am dying". He is 53, and has several illnesses...much attributed to his Vietnam service years. I recently prayed for him, and asked the Lord to save him. He told me yesterday, that last year (2006) they called his family members in five times because they thought he was on he had lived his last day.

As I thought about his remark, "I am dying" it came to me that we all are dying. The Preacher put it so well in Ecclesiastes Chapter 3 verse 2 "A time to be born, and a time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;". Some will die today, some will die tomorrow, some will die next week or next month or next year. One may be "healthy as a horse" but their death could come today.

Hebrews Chapter 9 verse 27 says "And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:". As a born again Christian, I know that death has no victory over me. 1 Corinthians 15 verse 26 says "The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death", and verse 55 says "O DEATH, WHERE IS THY STING? O GRAVE, WHERE IS THY VICTORY?" Truly I know that Jesus died on the cross so we could live with him forever.

As I further meditated on dying, the thought came to me that not only was all mankind dying, but all animals, plant life, indeed the whole earth was dying. There is coming a day when all things will pass away, and the Lord will make all things new. What a hope for tomorrow!

Yes, my friend was right when he said, "I am dying". We all are. The most important thing to decide in our brief span of life on this earth is where will we spend eternity. We are but pilgrims and strangers here in this world...just passing through. All the success measured by the world will mean nothing once we die. What will matter is the work that one has accomplished for the Lord. Matthew Chapter 6 verse 20 and 21 puts it this way "But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also".

I Corinthians 15 verse 58 "Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the LORD, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the LORD".

Copyright 2008 Irvin L. Rozier, author of My Walk with the Lord, US Army, Chaplain of American Legion Post 181..website to song and video  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lseFgH7XumU  http://www.youtube.com/user/walkin2e

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print