Romans 1:16
by Don Costello

Romans 1:16

For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

1. "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ:"

a. ashamed (1870 * epaischunomai) To bring shame upon oneself, to be ashamed of,"

b. Mark 8:38 "Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.

c. 2 Timothy 1:8 "Be not thou therefore ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me his prisoner: but be thou partaker of the afflictions of the gospel according to the power of God;"

d. God is not ashamed of us. Hebrews 11:16 "But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city."

2. "for it is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that believeth;"

b. power (1411 * dunamis) Power, especially achieving power.

c. salvation (4991 * soteria) Scofield Reference Bible: "The Hebrew and Greek words for salvation imply the ideas of deliverance, safety, preservation, healing and soundness. Salvation is the great inclusive word of the Gospel, gathering into itself all the redemptive acts and processes"


d. We bring the power of the throne of God to bear on any situation in our life by believing, by faith. The Gospel of Christ is the power of God and we can believe it for our deliverance, our safety, our preservation, our healing and our soundness.

3. "to the Jew first, and also to the Greek."

a. Paul always went first to the Jew and then to the Gentile, in that order.

b. At Antioch in Pisidia Paul went first into the synagogue.

1). Acts 13:14 But when they departed from Perga, they came to Antioch in Pisidia, and went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and sat down.

c. When the Jews for the most part rejected the gospel in that city, Paul and Barnabas's reaction was "It was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles." Acts 13:46.

c. Yet in the very next town Paul went first into the synagogue: Acts 14:1.

d. The order of the Jews first was ordained by God.

1). Acts 3:25, 26 "Ye are the children of the prophets, and of the covenant which God made with our fathers, saying unto Abraham, And in thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed.
Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities."


My name is Don Costello. Ever since I received Christ in November of 1976 I have had a passion to study and know God's word.My wife Melissa and I have 5 children.

My e-mail address is [email protected]

I have a blog located at:
www.theophilus-loverofgodsword.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print