Mycenae Mud
by PamFord Davis

That's a fine mess you have gotten yourself into!" If we are entangled in a problem, a reprimand is not usually enlightening. We know we are in a mess; we want someone to pull us out! The deeper we sink, the harder it becomes to free ourselves.


I grew up in Mycenae dairy farm country; and pastures were frequent play areas. To farmers they were spacious areas to graze cows; but to children they held wide open adventure! Cows found green grass and fresh water from the meandering crick. We discovered large rocks to climb on and fallen trees across the water, to carefully balance ourselves upon. Moving from one side to the other we needed the agility of a tight rope walker or a lumber jack!


Rain or melting snow completely changes the landscape in a pasture. I learned the hard way to watch where you step! The ground beneath my feet kept moving and my feet could not keep up with the action. Dirt became menacing mud and took on all the characteristics of cement. "I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing (Psalm 69:2a NKJ)." I got stuck and I could not get my shoes loose! "Deliver me out of the mire, and let me not sink (Psalm 69:14a NKJ)." I tried as hard as I could; but it made no difference.

In defeat, I left my shoes behind and walked back home. I freed myself of one problem, but walked right into the wrath of another! My father was very unhappy with his little girl and the absence of costly shoes. Memory does not reward me with the end of this story; likely it is something I did not want to remember. I think I led him right back to where I left the shoes; and he forcefully lifted them out.


If you see someone sinking in troubles, give them a helping hand. You might be the rescue they have been praying for. When you are the one stuck, don't depend on luck; call out to the Lord; watch Him free you with His mighty arm!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print