Beef Stew and Apple Pie
by Darlene Casino

"Don't say that, I'm not ready." I whined.

Walking off into the day I wondered why everyone seem to feel the need to be my calendar. It's true; perhaps I was feeling a little testy. My heart is not quite ready to give up relaxing days on the deck with my books.

But having said this, there are many reasons for a person to anticipate the coming of this season called 'Fall'. Perhaps I need to remind myself of them, so my attitude might be adjusted.

Let's see: foliage in New England is breathtaking. And then comes harvest time followed closely by the holiday season. It's the time of year to take family trips to the countryside or the mountains. Many get involved in apple picking and hay rides.

The weather provides many warm days, though mornings might be chilly. Even when the days become crisp and brisk, they can almost be refreshing after the sultry days of August.

The fragrance of summer flowers is gone. Now wafting through the air is the aroma of dry, burning leaves. Homes are filled with the smell of apples and spices and daylong simmering pots. Somehow, houses seem warmer, more welcoming to all who enter.

What mother's heart hasn't beat a little faster at the sound of a waiting school bus, as a line of noisy children mount the steps and find their seats.

There's something to be said, as well, for the reestablishing of 'routine' into a woman's life. There are things to do, places to go and people to see. Now, with a quiet house, she puts it back in order, clean and shiny. Everything and everyone is in its place, and all is well with the world.



I am a freelance writer and a retired nurse. I have 3 grown sons, 2 daughters-in-love and 5 grandchildren. My husband and I will celebrate our 48th anniversary in '08'.  I became serious about writing after my retirement. My work has only been published on-line thus far.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print