Shepherds of the Flock
by PamFord Davis

Who are you anxious to see when you reach your heavenly home? God's children anticipate endless hours beholding Him in all of His glory! Most long to see family members and close friends who died in the Lord. We will be privileged to talk with Bible heroes from the Old and New Testaments. They will be eager to hear our stories, too! We can only imagine what our housewarming will be like. (John 14:1-4)


My list of heavenly contacts will include men and women who impacted my life. Several of my pastors are now with the Lord. They faithfully completed their assignments; and God called them home. They are reaping their rewards; but congregations they left behind lost spiritual leaders and friends. Another stepped into the pulpit to carry on the mission; but the shoes of the former pastor were not filled. Each has special gifts uniquely designed by the Creator.


Pastors are sometimes referred to as shepherds, or under-shepherds to the Great Shepherd. They tenderly care for the flock, providing them with the Word of God and encouraging instruction. We learn much about sheep and their shepherds in Psalms 23. The Lord is our Shepherd, who meets our daily needs: physical, emotional, and spiritual. He comforts, disciplines, and rescues His wandering sheep. He brings healing to injured and broken bodies. Our lives are overflowing with His provision and the greatest promise is a place in His home forever! Pastors in their frailty do their best to be His hands and messengers.


The story of our pastors, God's earthly shepherds ends in triumph! They move from a temporary pasture to eternal fellowship with their Great Shepherd! The burdens and concerns of their earthly flock are lifted. I'm not sure what service they perform now; but I know they will never be idle! "His lord said to him, well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord (Matthew 25: 21 NKJ)." The parable of earthly service shadows our Father's recognition of His faithful followers. He does not present pastors with gold watches; they will not need to count the hours, only their blessings!

Published articles in Mature Living Magazine, Devotions for the Deaf, The Secret Place, Coosa Journal, Mary Hollingsworth's The One Year Devotional of Joy and Laughter, Jo Krueger's Every Day in God's Word. http://www.pamforddavis.com
 http://www.faithwriters.com/member-profile.php?

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print