Flipping the Calendar
by Lisa M. Hendey

Flipping the Calendar

I have a few wall calendars in my house of one of my "habit resolutions" for this year is to get them flipped to the next month before the first week of that upcoming month has already passed. My favorite calendar this year is the one gifted to me by my sister, Erin. Erin's calendar contains the dates of all of our family birthdays, anniversaries and other special observances. Family photos grace each page, with my parents, my siblings and their children highlighting the various months of the year. This month we will celebrate my nephew Justin's birthday, so his adorable smile will grace my wall all month on the calendar.

Have you looked ahead to what February holds for you. Take a few minutes now to plan for the following:

* Family birthdays and anniversaries - you can write out those cards now and save them to send a few months before the event

* Holidays and Observances - Note to all of those husbands out there: Valentine's day is coming up this month. Plan now! I always tell my husband that I think a hand written card is much more romantic than flowers - the fact that he took time to write out his thoughts means the world to me. At our house, we celebrate Valentine's Day with our traditional "Chocolate Breakfast Feast", sending the boys off to school with a sugar high. Also this month, many school children will be off school in commemoration of national holidays. Have you planned special activities or alternate day care arrangements for those days when school is not in session?

* Our Liturgical Calendar - This year, Lent begins with Ash Wednesday on February 21st. It's not too early to start contemplating your Lenten devotions now. If you enjoy reading daily meditations or use special printed devotional materials, order those today so that you will have them in hand prior to the beginning of Lent. Investigate possible "alms-giving" opportunities in your community. This year, our family will be focusing upon "freeze relief" efforts being undertaken by our local Catholic Charities office.

A little time today spent planning the month will help you to make the most of the weeks ahead.

Lisa M. Hendey, wife and mother of two sons, is the webmaster of http://www.catholicmom.com and the podcast host of http://www.catholicmoments.com. Visit her at http://www.lisahendey.com for more information.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print