Sing Praises To His Holy Name
by Donald Mehl

I love praise and worship music with lyrics that glorify His Holy name, and lyrics that proclaim His awesome power and majesty. Many of them are songs of thanksgiving for Who He is, and for what He has done. When I hear that music, my emotions are often tearful, joyful, humble and uplifting - all at the same time.

Recently I listened to a song I've heard many times before, but this time as I focused on the lyrics, they held a special meaning and significance. I'd like to share the words as penned by the songwriter, and offer my thoughts.

"Shout to The Lord"

My Jesus, my Savior, Lord, there is none like You;
All of my days I want to praise the wonders of Your mighty love.
My comfort, my shelter, tower of refuge and strength;
Let ev'ry breath, all that I am, never cease to worship You.

Chorus
Shout to the Lord, all the earth, let us sing
Power and Majesty, praise to the King;
Mountains bow down and the seas will roar
At the sound of Your name.
I sing for joy at the work of your hands,
Forever I'll love You, forever I'll stand
Nothing compares to the promise I have in You.

There are many examples of praise, worship and thanksgiving throughout Scripture. The children of Israel were very expressive people with singing, dancing, raising of hands and arms, and making music using a variety of musical instruments in their praise and worship of Almighty God.

A few examples from Scripture that teach of their passionate worship are summarized here:
2 Sam. 6:14 David danced before the Lord with all his might.
Ps. 47:1,2 Clap your hands and shout with joy.
Ps. 63:4 Lift up hands in praise.
Ps. 66:1,2 Make a joyful noise and sing glorious praise to His Name.
Ps. 95:1,2 Sing for joy with thanksgiving.
Ps. 149:3 Praise His name with dancing and make music to Him.
Ps. 150:3-5 Praise Him with the sounds of many instruments.

Just as the children of Israel worshiped, may we also praise God's greatness and glory with all that is within us shouting the Good News from the highest mountain so the whole world might hear.

Psalm 96:1-6 (NKJV)
1. Oh, sing to the LORD a new song!
Sing to the LORD, all the earth.
2. Sing to the LORD, bless His name;
Proclaim the good news of His salvation from day to day.
3. Declare His glory among the nations,
His wonders among all peoples.
4. For the LORD is great and greatly to be praised;
He is to be feared above all gods.
5. For all the gods of the peoples are idols,
But the LORD made the heavens.
6. Honor and majesty are before Him;
Strength and beauty are in His sanctuary.

The last line of the 'Shout To The Lord' chorus reads, "Nothing compares to the promise I have in You." With the world crumbling all around us, with turmoil everywhere we look, and with Israel surrounded by armies seeking to destroy her, we know that God is in control and that He holds tomorrow in the palm of His hand. Oh, what rest, comfort, and assurance we have in His promises!

Will you join me with raised voices and joyful hearts to sing praises to Him - giving all honor and glory to our Lord and King? Amen...and I pray we will do it today, tomorrow and forever!

During retirement, my prayer is that I might serve the Lord by sharing the Gospel through my writing.  As the Lord leads, my work will inform, challenge and encourage.  I also enjoy Biblical theme woodcarving, Bible studies and Christian music.  Watch, pray and keep looking up!

Donald Mehl

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print