WORSHIP THE LORD IN THE BEAUTY OF HOLINESS
by Lenora McWhorter

"Ascribe to the Lord the glory due His name, worship the Lord in the splendor of His holiness" writes the Psalmist. (Psalm 96:8 ) People approaches God at different levels in worship and they respond to God's presence in different ways. Yet even an ordinary life lived with an awareness of God's presence is transforming. A Christ-centered is one that sees God in everything even the mundane things, and do all things for His glory. When we are conscious of God's presence we see Him in our joys and our sorrows. In our weakness we are aware of His strength. When we are weary we feel His comfort, because in God's presence is fullness of joy.

GOD'S PRESENCE:
"As the deer pants for streams of water, so panteth my soul after Thee, O' Lord. My soul thirst for you O' God, for the living God. Where can I go and meet with God? (Psalms 42:1-2). The deep longing of our hearts can only be satisfied when we meet God in worship. It is then that we give ourselves completely to Him and He quenches the thirst of our hearts and fills us with more of Himself. Our worship of God is our response to His goodness and His faithfulness to us. The Holy Spirit draws us near and connects our spirit to God's and we respond by worshipping Him. This sacred act of worship is the appropriate response to God's awesomeness and his majesty. It is what we do to delight the heart of God, expressing our love and thanksgiving to Him. We engage our mind and heart when we worship and it is good for us to put effort into worship but ultimately we must depend on the Holy Spirit. He prompts us, draws us close and escorts us into the presence of God..

WHAT IS WORSHIP?:
So then what is genuine worship? It is almost beyond our explanation but a picture has been painted that says, "When the human spirit connects with God through the Holy Spirit worship takes place." Our natural response is to worship whenever we enter in the presence of God. Because of who He is we cannot help but to reverence Him, to honor Him, to give Him the highest respect, esteem Him highly. We worship God as we serve Him, yield to Him, praise Him, adore Him, love Him and enjoy Him. Worship is a powerful experience that takes us out of the natural into the spiritual realm. When we engage in worship we recognize that we were created for something bigger than ourselves, because it is in worship that the Holy Spirit infuses us with new life. Worship is the highest exercise of man's functions. We can perform no higher activity on earth that worshipping God. When we worship God we are fulfilling our purpose for being. If we can let go of the things that hinder us from total involvement in worship, take self out of the way and focus on God's glory, we would be transformed. When we allow ourselves to be swept up into God's presence we radiates His glory. (Isaiah 43:7) says. "We are created for God's glory" He takes pleasure in those who worship Him. Genuine worship transforms us. The more time we spend in God's presence the more like Him we become. It is when we get to know Him at a deeper level that He becomes real to us.

GOD SEEKS WORSHIPERS:
God seeks sincere worshippers who worship Him in Spirit and truth. (John 4).When we worship God there is a sweet intimacy between God and His redeemed ones. The essence of our worship is communion. Whether personal or corporate there are many ways we can communicate with God. Scripture is filled with insights about how men and women expressed their devotion to God through the ages. The reality is that when God reached out to mankind and made Himself known to him, man responded by worshipping Him. Likewise, when God reveals Himself to us the natural response is to humble ourselves before Him and worship. However, when we ascribe to the Lord the glory due His name it goes beyond worship services. Worshipping God in the beauty of holiness means to live holy lives and bring every aspect of our lives under His Lordship. The channels that ushers us into the presence of the Lord is praise and worship. God dwells in the atmosphere of our praise and it is through praise and worship that we communicate our devoti9on to Him.

OLD TESTAMENT WORSHIP:
Ancient Israel had sacred places, sacred objects, sacred ceremonies and certain times set apart for God. They had sacrifices, Priests and sacred feast days which opened the way for them to come to God in worship. Those places and objects represented God's holiness. There in the temple prayers were offered, praise was sent up and man worshipped God. But the central act of worship was the sacrifices by the ordained priest, morning and evening, day after day over the centuries. The priest followed God's law that had been given to Israel including animal sacrifice. These sacrifices were designed among other things to express repentance for sins and offer thanksgiving to God for His blessings. Genuine worship is not a worked up effort to bless God but it is a deep hunger and thirst for His presence as David expressed in the forty second Psalms.

NEW TESTAMENT WORSHIP:
New Testament Christians focused on Jesus' life, death and resurrection in worship.. Worship says that God is superior to all else. When we focus our thoughts on Him and quiet our hearts before Him we find that worship happens spontaneously. As we worship God in spirit and truth He reveals Himself to us, and the more of Himself He reveals the more we worship Him.

Paul writes to the (Romans, 12:1), "Therefore , I urge you brethern, in view of God's mercy, offer your body as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God, this is your spiritual act of worship." Contrasting animal sacrifice to living sacrifice, He says, "Now that you have the life of God in you, worship Him with your heart, mind and spirit. Give your total self, all of you to God." Surrender all that you are so you can become all He wants you to be. How beautiful worship can become when we forget ourselves, our techniques and our hang-ups and bask in the presence of God. It is a taste of heaven that makes one feel alive and free

WORSHIP A LIFESTYLE:
"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31). All of creation shouts of God's greatness. "The heavens declare the glory of God, the skies proclaims the work of His hand. (Psalms 19:1) Nature does its work continuously. It proclaims that God is superior to everything else. Likewise, it is a natural experience for the creatures to worship it's creator. However, it is not to be restricted to Sunday worship service but it is to be a way of life for God's people. Worship goes beyond the music we play, the songs we sing, the raising of the hands to the Lord or the dance before the Lord. It encompasses all that and more. Worship fits into a bigger picture than we can comprehend. It blows our mind to try to understand how God with His holiness, His power, His magnificence and all that He is desires to fellowship with sinful, undone creatures like ourselves. "For the Lord takes delight in His people," (Psalms 149:4a).For that reason He created us with the ability to respond to His love.

Creation ascribes to God glory and strength, but only mankind can worship the Lord. God created the magnificent earth and formed majestic mountains, trees, rivers, oceans, and all kind of animals in the water and in the air, and they serve God's purpose. But He created human beings as the object of His affection. Therefore should we not live with a consciousness of being in the presence of God at all times so that worship will become our life? Israel was to make worship a lifestyle. God gave them purity laws and other laws for everyday living. they had instructions and guidelines to help them live holy lives. In small things and big things as we allow our lives to become saturated with God's Spirit and become consumed with His love, the only proper response to God is to worship Him..

I am a retired early childhood educator. Currently Working part time in a senior training program. Writes Sunday School Quarterlies for a Christian publisher, for the kindergarten class.  Teaches Bible study and other Christian education activities. Writes poetry as a hobby and enjoy traveling.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print