Our GREAT GREAT God!
by naomi Cassata

Some of the most popular Christian books out right now have to do with our own greatness; or if we are lacking, how to achieve that greatness. Our purpose should never be centered on becoming great; in fact, Jesus taught the very opposite. Though Jesus became great on the earth, there was no self pride or self ambition in him. He humbled himself before God and man, and God chose to exalt him. Humility was actually Christ's strength. In the same way, we must not seek to be great, but meek on the earth. Anything more is self pride.

Who came first man or God? Obviously God. Therefore, only God can be ascribed as being great. We only exist because He willed it. He holds our breath in His hand and knows the outcome of our life before we even live it.

When you think of God's greatness, what comes to mind? Sometimes we ascribe a characteristic to God but we don't really know the underlying meaning. We often hear "God is great, God is good, God is," but until we understand why God is great or good, these attributes really don't mean anything to us.

GOD DOES GREAT THINGS

Not only is God credited as being great, but He is also known for doing great things. What He does on the earth is a reflection of His thoughts, desires and heart toward mankind.

As we look into why God is so great, we only have the capability, due to our limited boundaries on the earth, to peer into just a tinge of His greatness. Even then, it is more than our minds can fathom. God's full greatness is unsearchable (Psalm 145:3). Nevertheless, through His grace, we can take a small peak into a little of His greatness.

GOD'S WISDOM

What makes God so great? Let's first look at His wisdom. When He created the universe, He fashioned it through His wisdom. In our finite minds we gain wisdom through learning. Although, this same principle is not true with God. He is wisdom. No one taught God the precise placement the earth needed to be among the planets in order for it to habitat life. No one taught Him how to create mankind's organs, cells and DNA for us to function. In all His wisdom, He orchestrated every detail and made it so. Man hasn't even scratched the surface of God's wisdom. It would take man an eternity to uncover the detail of all God's creation, and yet we think we are so wise when we make new discoveries. God knew about it all along.

O Lord, how manifold are Your works! In wisdom You have made them all (Psalm 104:24).

GOD'S POWER

God's weakness is stronger than man's power. It is His might that keeps the planets spinning, the earth producing and mankind's lungs filled with breath. Unknowing to most, without God's power on the earth, life would cease to exist. His power is swirling all around us and it is His power that sustains life. He is all powerful meaning He can do whatever He wills to. Jesus claimed that all things are possible with God (Matthew 19:26). God's hand stretched out the heavens; His breath brought life into Adam's nostrils; By His command the world came into existence. Life did not exist until God came down to earth.

By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, And all the host of them by the breadth of His mouth (Psalm 33:6).

GOD'S PRESENCE

God's very presence is great. To be in the presence of Almighty God would bring us to our very knees in humble adoration. When God passed before Moses, his response was to fall flat on His face and worship. Isaiah saw the holiness of God and cried out "Woe is me, for I am undone" (16:5). John, the revelator, fell at the feet of Jesus as a dead man, when His glory was revealed. These men, who encountered God, encountered His glory, power and wisdom, and they responded accordingly-- in great awe. God's presence is one of honor and majesty and to behold just a tiny glimpse will cause us to see our own weakness and our desperate need for Him in our lives.

Bless the Lord, O my soul! O Lord my God, You are very great: You are clothed with honor and majesty, (Psalm 104:1).

As we live out our everyday lives, we tend to forget God and the role He plays on the earth. He is not a spirit being living in some 4th dimension absent from our everyday lives. He is all around us, and it is through Him that we live, move and have our being (Acts 17: 28).

all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the Lord (Numbers 14:21).

THE GOODNESS OF GOD'S GREATNESS

God's greatness and His goodness are similar. Because of God's goodness He does great things; because of God's greatness He does good things. He does not sit on His thrown with angry eyes and smoke filled nostrils peering down upon the earth. This is a wrong image that many people have.

Our God is not one of silver, bronze or gold. He has ears that hear us and a hand that is outstretched towards us. When King David considered the greatness of God in all that He had created, he was amazed and asked "What is man that you are mindful of him, and the son of man that You visit Him? (Psalm 8:4). Despite the greatness of our God, His ultimate desire is directed towards us. He is not overly busy with the changing of the seasons, making sure the planets rotate properly or that the oceans stay in their boundaries. These were all set in motion long ago and through our observation of them, we may come to understand the greatness of our God. When we do recognize this, we will know He is the Great I AM.

For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse, (Romans 1:20).

When the world stands before God at the end of the age, no excuse will hold up. His existence is clearly seen all around. With this knowledge, live each day remembering that our God has always been and that all things came from Him. Never will you find a god like Him. He is all Powerful, all Wise and all Glorious!

http://www.lampformyfeet.com/

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print