Identifying My Chains
by Janet Morris Grimes

Chris Tomlin has a wonderful song called "Amazing Grace." I listen to it on repeat often, so much so that I think that I'm finally getting the point.



My chains are gone.

I've been set free.

My God, my Savior,

has ransomed me.

And like a flood,

his mercy reigns.

Unending love.

Amazing grace."

I sing this to myself all throughout my daily routine, which is anything but routine. I realized that in order to feel free from my chains, I must first identify just what it was that was keeping me imprisoned. What is holding me back? What have I allowed to be a chain in my life for so long now that I barely even recognize it?

It's odd, actually, because I think we get so used to the way we have always been, that we cling to the things that are holding us back from experiencing all that God truly wants to give us.

"You know how I am I just have a bad temper," or "I'm just depressed" or "I lack self confidence" or "I'm too shy." All of these things can be true about us, but using them as an excuse to keep from trying something new seems that we are embracing the very chain that is holding us back.

The beauty of it is that once I identify my chains, I am free to leave them at the altar. Perhaps it is me who needs to let go of them, instead of being the other way around.

It is not easy to admit my weaknesses. But I have learned through the years that if I honestly lay these things out on the table for everyone to see, then Satan has one less weapon to use on me. He cannot handle the truth, nor can he make me feel guilty for something I left at the altar long ago.

Prisoners who have been freed do not have to be reminded to walk away. They embrace their freedom, leaving the past behind them.

We would be wise to do the same.

Janet Morris Grimes, the author The Parent's Guide to Uncluttering Your Home, released in 2011. She launched Abbandoned Ministries to lead others to seek God, as Abba, during  abandonment. For more information, visit http://janetmorrisgrimes.com or http://abbandondoned.com.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print