Spiritual Memories
by

My mom was working on a project recently and she asked me to let her know what spiritual memories she had passed on to me as I was growing up. This was an interesting question and as I thought about it, I realized that the spiritual memories I had from her weren't big and obvious things. Rather, they were smaller day-to-day memories. It was more a way of life and who my parents were as people that got ingrained in my heart.

I remember sitting as a family in church and going almost every Sunday. I remember a cross that my mom had hung over their bed that had two rings entwined in it to symbolize that God was the head of their marriage. I remember Bible Studies laying out on my mom's desk, and the prayers we would say together.

This got me to thinking about what kind of spiritual memories or foundation I am laying for my own kids. What will they remember or take from me as a spiritual heritage? It probably won't be the things I think. It probably won't be the long discussions I have with them from time to time thinking that I am trying to "embed" spiritual truths and values in their hearts. No - it will probably be things like singing at the top of our lungs to our favorite Christian tunes in the car. Or, hosting small groups in our home. Maybe they will even treasure certain faith-based pictures that we have hung throughout our home.

You see, I realized that what our children take from us is more about who we are and how we live on a day to day basis. Not that they won't remember or appreciate some of the bigger moments on their faith journey like being baptized, or going on a missions trip. But the concept of how we view God and how much we let Him into our daily lives...will probably resound clearer in their heads.

How about you? What kind of spiritual memories are you leaving for your children? Are they negative or positive? Are they heartfelt or shallow words? Definitely something to think about...and definitely something to live by if you take your faith seriously.


~Dionna Sanchez is Founder of EmphasisOnMoms.com and freelance writes. She also blogs at http://beautyinthestorm.blogspot.com 
Contact her at [email protected]

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com







Thanks!

Thank you for sharing this information with the author, it is greatly appreciated so that they are able to follow their work.

Close this window & Print